11/01/2012

Identifying with Kerouac and Matisse

Admittedly, I have read some Kerouac's and learned about Matisse's in between reading books on science. Hence, I have learned to appreciate their work. Although admittedly, I haven't seen the complete works of Kerouac and Matisse; I will rely solely on what I know about their works to create apologetics on certain matters in this world --- my life in particular.

There is nothing much to explain really. Except I want to try anyways and see where it gets me. That is the reason for the apologetics. And my first apologetics concerns my identity ---tough existentialist shit for one who's lived a little over a quarter of a century.

I thought I'd paint my identity pretty much like how Matisse would --- drenched in Fauve colors. Natural colors definitely do not sit well with my identity. I could say I definitely don't have your run-of-the-mill persona. Maybe a little stereotypes go well with me but it is their juxtapositions with each other that makes me a little different. 


Let me talk a little more about Fauvism. This form of painting drew mixed feelings from the public when it was first shown. While it mainly drew derisive criticisms --- it actually paved something new and uniquely their own identity. Historically, this art movement met more than a little bump on the road before gaining its own following. The story of Fauvism tells of a struggle to breathe innovation into art. Fauvism challenges the artist's point of view. It seeks to destroy the normal perception of artists regarding a subject. It seeks to diffuse bias towards the natural rhythm of things. A human skin ---in Fauvism---is not exactly brown, or flesh in color. It is decidedly different. The perfect example is shown in a sample work of Matisse --- Woman With A Hat.



This out of the box thinking made public acceptance of their work a little more difficult. For some people, it was a waste of good oil paints on canvass. But the Fauves persevered to erect their visions in art forms. Their art movement was after all about individual artists' vision and how it does not necessarily sit well with people but has a right to existential fruition. People who identified with the need to separate themselves from the ordinary were the ones who appreciated Fauvism the most and became the patrons of these artworks.

Like I mentioned earlier, Fauvism appeals to me as it symbolizes my struggle to separate myself from the normal existence. Not that normal and ordinary things remain to be favored but because my soul yearns to be irreverent and unapologetic for its existence. At this point, attaching the name Matisse, one of the  leading Fauves, to my pseudonym seemed like a no-brainer (which is of course not really a no-brainer) choice of action.

Kerouac --- the first part of my pseudonym --- originates from Jack Kerouac. Jack Kerouac is one of the foremost literary icons who started working on what would be called as Beat poetry. And like the Fauves, these generation of writers --- Kerouac being one of them -- would shun traditional literature and social conformity. These two --- supposedly --- stifled higher consciousness.

Jack Kerouac typifies his work as spontaneous prose. His works, followed by many, were considered scandalous. However, that of course remains for readers to decide. Check the following typography of his words.





What really struck me about Jack Kerouac's work and convinced me that it is a voice I could adapt was its unconventional wisdom. While they consider themselves beat up --- hence the name Beat poetry --- they surely made a name for themselves. Of course, this greatly reflects my conviction that like Kerouac, my way of doing things favored higher consciousness even if it means feeling the isolation and detachment from popular opinion.

Jack Kerouac would brandish words laced with enormous force which causes your own thoughts to implode on themselves. He would put words in such a way that they antagonize you, confuse you or make you uncomfortable and in the end makes you think inwardly to re-examine your philosophy and in effect, form radical thoughts which lead to radical changes.

My identity hinges to Kerouac in that I favor difficult changes for the higher consciousness. It also hinges on how Kerouac made himself unforgettable despite being mocked by many. In many ways, his vindication lies in how many of his words affect people even of the new generations.

As expected ---or not really--- my profile picture reeks of Matisse's seemingly confused substitute colors in Jack Kerouac's portrait. It generally imbibes organized psychedelia - the hybrid of Kerouac and Matisse -- which I view the wellspring of radical thoughts and innovation.




Now that I have started writing a blog yet again, I positively identify with Kerouac and Matisse. And though their creative genius may not be necessarily reflected in my articles --- I am expected to see things differently and to write words that would provoke intellectual implosion that should reflect and explosion of radical actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment