11/29/2012

What's in your Bucket?

Time for a light topic. Bucket list!!! =D

I think everybody has a bucket list. It's just a list of life goals for some. But for me I consider this list, a motivational force. 

Back then, I was just living my life passively. Sure I had future plans but I wasn't that aggressively doing anything about it. But since I learned that I have HIV, it made me look at the future differently. There's a sense of urgency to everything I do and you feel the pressure to make your every decision and action count. And when you learn you're HIV+, a bucket list suddenly becomes a must. So I am making one. Or rather I am revising my bucket list and am posting it for public consumption. 


1. Get my Ph.D.  




This has always been in my bucket list ever since I graduated in college. But back then the primary motivation for getting a Ph.D. was for career advancement. 

The first three months after I was diagnosed, I had my doubts whether I would achieve this. But when I started reading more about HIV and the medicine behind it, I found inspiration as to what degree to pursue.

This time around, I feel that it is really my calling to have a career in scientific and medical research. Who knows, I might discover the cure for HIV? Or cancer maybe? Although, I would rather have the cure for HIV discovered ASAP.

2. Travel around the world and immerse in different culture.

I know, there will be travel restrictions. But finding my way around the travel restrictions will make the travel more interesting. 
And yes...I have a separate list for my dream destinations. I'll post them here in my blog one time. =D 

I think fulfilling my travel goals is my way of reliving my childhood dreams. Back then I wanted to be a pilot. Every time I see an airplane in the air, it never fails to get my mind wandering. I would often make up stories about the people riding them. 


First childhood dream: to become a pilot. Then I changed my mind. I said, I'll be a doctor. Guess what my work is now?
And being a precocious child, I would ask my mom and dad about why people had to ride airplanes. This led to my first lessons on geography. Of course, it never occurred to my young mind back then that Philippines is just small dot in the map and that it is separated from the rest of the worlds by oceans and seas. Thus travelling out of the country meant riding a plane, I would then learn.

Also, I remember having this fascination with maps. Imagine, I drew my first map of the world when I was in Grade 1.  Which got me started to drawing my own maps. Yeah, I think my elementary notebooks were filled with these maps. I look forward to pinning my travel pictures onto these maps. But I might have to do it digitally now.


Unless we discover the secret to teleportation, we still have to deal with HIV travel restrictions. But it shouldn't stop us from travelling and learning from other cultures.

Although the ultimate rationale behind traveling is of course to further educate myself and to appreciate the beauty of this world. But I always associated travel with history. Remember when your history teacher recounts an event in the past and there would always be a historic place mentioned with it? That's how history got me interested into seeing the world. And I have always been a history buff. Modesty aside, my grades in history were excellent. When I get to visit the historic places, that will be the true test of my history proficiency.

3. Build my dream house.

Who doesn't dream of building his own house? 

Of course my dream house has been changing since I first tried to draw my dream house. I recall wanting to have tree house. But yeah, I have since shed off my childish notions of a dream house and have decided I am going for an environment-friendly and HIV+ friendly house. 

I will need an architect friend (yeah, I have alot of architect friends) to achieve this. In hindsight, I think I may have really planned to have many architect friends since I plan on exploiting their free services as much as possible. LOL.

The design will be a hybrid of minimalist and green architecture (which reminds me of Shamcey Supsup). 

It will have a pool, a garden, a bar, a grand kitchen. I don't mind a loft-style bedroom. 


Loft-style bedroom. Not exactly my dream loft-style bedroom but this is just to give you an idea what I want for my bedroom. =D

Well...if ever I get to meet Mr. Right...I am willing to have the house remodeled...so we could both have our own stamps on it. =D

4. Build my own business. 

I don't plan on working forever as an employee. Besides, building your own business gives you a different high. This one will probably be the most challenging for me to achieve. I know I have a lot to learn when it comes to doing business. But I already have good business ideas. 




The business will be a secret for now. But you will surely hear from me dear reader if ever I get to put this business up. It will probably revolve around health and fitness and food. So there. Though I am willing to try a lot of ventures.

Right now, I can only think of four. But I will definitely add more in this bucket list.

After reading back. I realized that it's so generic. So this is probably not my final bucket list. =D










2 comments:

  1. In my list included: maligo sa drum na puno ng tubig, makapaglaro ng paper planes sa isang complete stranger, malakad ang stretch ng edsa hehe

    you may check this out, Kiune (http://www.risingbean.com/about-risingbean/) and his lifelist (http://www.variance.ca/personal/lifelist.php)

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lifelist. Perhaps I should make a more specific bucket list. Thanks for sharing. =D

    ReplyDelete