12/01/2012

World AIDS Day.

Back then December 1 would pass by me like any other day. It was only MTV Philippines (yeah it was still broadcasting back then) who gave a damn about December 1 or World AIDS Day for that matter. 

Fast forward to today, now that I am HIV+...I gained an appreciation for this day that was allotted for the remembrance of the global struggle versus HIV/AIDS.

As a tribute, I would like to play a video clip from RENT the MOVIE. 


This is probably the most popular song from RENT the MUSICAL. This Tony Award-winning musical revolves around the story of a group of New Yorkers and how HIV has changed their lives forever. Even before I was diagnosed with HIV. I have come to love RENT the MUSICAL because of its hopeful message. I have since then watched it so many times that I have learned to sing some of their songs.

In that act where they sang La Vie Boheme, I particularly loved that part towards the end where they shouted in unison the phrases: "Actual reality! Act up! Fight AIDS!!!". 

I'll Cover You, sung in the end, during Angel's funeral was a very haunting song. The reprise of this song at the end reinforces all the message of the musical. This 2012 World AIDS Day, I take time to offer a tribute to all who have gone before us in this journey in life with HIV. This is also the time to be reminded to act up against HIV. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment